Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A No-Sew Fleece Blanket

I have always wanted to try to make a no-sew blanket. It looks so easy and everybody and their brothers (or sisters) have done it. So I should be able to, right??? RIGHT!

One of my colleagues is pregnant with a little girl. So, I figured this would be a great opportunity for me to make one. And, since she isn't on Facebook, and doesn't know yet about my blog, I am pretty sure she won't be seeing this here!

I bought 1.5 yards of a fleece with a design and the same amount of a solid-color fleece. Once I got them home, I had to trim some of the edges to make them perfectly fit on another.

Then, I cut a square out of each corner of the two layers. These squares were basically 4" x 4". After that, I grabbed a piece of long masking tape and ran it down a side of the blanket from corner to corner. I used this as my guage for how deep I was going to cut the strips along the side. I wanted the strips to be 4".

I cut strips that were 4" deep in the material and about 1" apart. If you do not have sharp scissors, your hand will hurt before you get the whole way around the blanket.


Here you can see where the corner has been cut out.


The line of tape helps to ensure that your cuts will be the desired length.








Once all four sides are cut, you will need to start tying the ends. I wanted to work on this blanket in the car the next day, so I needed to tie down enough of the fabric so the two layers would stay together. I started in the corners and tied every other pair. I also made sure to use a double knot. Once I had gone a few inches from the corners I knew it would be safe to fix in the car.

Here is the finished project with a close-up on the knots. Remember that you don't want these to come undone, so make sure you tie the second one tight. I haven't washed it yet, but from everything I have read, these blankets have no trouble standing up to washing.

 Well, I am glad that I got to make one of these and now I have plans to make another for my great-nephew Ty for Christmas! But, SHHHH! It's a secret!

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to make one of these for Maddux!!! It has been on my to do list for a year now :) Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete